Eco-Friendly Moss Remover
Eco-Friendly Powdered Moss Breakdown:
Eco-Friendly Powdered Moss is a great substitute for bleach and will prevent moss from growing back when the following steps are taken:
90-100% of the moss must be removed by hand prior to treatment. Moss that has grown extensively and is now considered carpet moss (Covering the whole shingle) must be sprayed 1 week before the job as a pre-treatment to allow safe removal of the moss. If moss is sprayed without removal, it will die and turn orange but will stay up on the roof and will need to be brushed down for a fresh-looking roof.
1 bucket of 20kg Eco-friendly moss treatment will have the ability to make up to 200 gallons of solution. If a complete removal of moss is completed first, then ¼ of a bucket of powder will be adequate in a 50-gallon tank. During the wet season, or if you remove less then 90% of the moss then 1/3 a bucket would be recommended. Add 1 gallon of Liquid oxygen bleach to each 50g mix for a 2-year moss free guarantee. 1 year under overhanging trees. Add a few glugs (about .5 gallon) of oxygen bleach to any mix that has sat over 24 hours to re-active before applying.
- Put on rubber gloves and eye protection.
- Pour desired amount of powder into a clean & dry 5-gallon bucket.
- Have a hose with a shut off on one end. This will give you the ability to stop the water when you need to.
- Get a drill and set it to a low gear mode, attach a paint or cement mixer attachment for easy mixing. You can also mix with a stick or stirring tool, but the process will be considerably harder and take longer.
- Stick the hose into the bucket of measured powder and begin mixing right when the water touches the powder. **The first mix is the most important as you need to make sure all the powder gets agitated. If you do not mix right away, you will end up with clumps that wont dissolve.
- Fill the bucket as you agitate your mix until the water level gets near the top of your bucket. Do not over fill as it will make it hard to pour.
- Pour off the top amount of white fluid into your mix tank, do not mind the foam that is created on the first mix, that will dissolve in your tank.
- Stop pouring when you only have the powder and a small amount of water left. Do not pour any powder granules in the mix tank as they will not dissolve well.
- Repeat this process until there is no more powder left in the bucket. About 4-8 times. If there are any clumps or any powder left at the end, dump it out as it will not dissolve any further.
- Add 1 gallon of oxygen bleach to give the mix. This will allow you to give a 2-year moss free warrant instead of a 1 year with just the powder.
- Fill the rest of your tank with water until the tank is between 45 to 50 gallons.
- Apply the mix onto the roof using a roof using your pump of choice and a 25 degree tip. It will foam bright white and look like snow, which will make it easy to see where you spray. Cover the roof with an even layer, starting from the bottom and working to the top.
-Try not to get your feet in the solution as it can make things slippery on the ladder. The white foam will last between 10-30 min and will then dissipate. If the weather is hot the solution may leave white chalky marks on the roof until the next rain comes. Do not rinse roof, leave this solution up as long as possible. Requires dry weather for application, slight rain is ok if all the moss has been removed prior to the rain. The solution needs at least 30 min of dry weather before rain. The solution will not need to be flushed with water as this mix is not very corrosive, however, a good rinse will only help prolong equipment. This method is safer on plants, your skin and equipment compared to sodium hypochlorite. This solution will stripe gutters so be sure to watch your overspray and have a ground person wetting down any gutters that get hit. Experienced sprayers may not need the ground crew and can spray solo. (1) 50-gallon tank will cover most medium/ large homes or 2 small roofs.
-Always try to treat the whole roof not just affected areas as moss spores can travel. Don’t guarantee any roof if the full roof is not treated.
-Make sure to not add soaps or sodium hypochlorite to this mix as it will cause chemical reactions.
-Has a nature sweet smell and does not require cover scenes.
-Be sure to cover or move wood furniture as it can dis-colour objects.